Thursday, October 27, 2011

socialization

The agent of socialization that has impacted me most is probably school because even though I am religious, I haven't always been surrounded by very religious people who have strict religious values. Even when I went to Catholic grade school, there were a lot of kids who were becoming socialized by media, and   they affected my socialization. I still say school, not peers, as my greatest agent of socialization because the students in my school have effect over me, but I think what teachers have taught me has been ingrained the most because during childhood is when most socialization takes place, and during that time I was more focused on what teachers taught me. Also, even though many kids at Stevenson are socialized to do drugs, I've been more socialized by what school has taught me: that drugs are harmful. School also has had the greatest impact because that's where I am for the majority of my day and if I didn't attend school, I wouldn't have learned to be organized, polite, obedient, studious, and all of the values schools teach you. I feel stressed out by grades and getting into a good college and completing all of my homework because school has taught me that I need to succeed in school in order to succeed in life. My family has also had enormous impact on my socialization, but I still would say school because it mostly teaches the same values but also includes those that are taught by other students I'm surrounded by. But if my family wasn't so involved in my socialization, I'd probably be socialized more by the students at school than the teachers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment